Thursday, February 12, 2009

I’m single, 31 years old, and I want a baby.

I have no delusions that this will be easy, and even though this is not the perfect time or perfect circumstance, the time is coming! I’m not getting any younger and I have known fertility issues. I was diagnosed 8 years ago with Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Currently, I don’t get a period unless I’m on birth control pills. I have no interest in (or money for) IVF or drugs like Clomid.

I try to eat organically and to avoid preservatives, trans fats, artificial sweeteners, and anything else that didn’t happen naturally. It just doesn’t make sense to me to put man made chemicals into my body to make it do something it obviously feels it should not be doing. Western medicine doesn’t have a lot to offer in the way of treatment other than birth control pills and Metformin. Metformin is a drug used to treat diabetes but which also helps to deal with insulin resistance that is common in people with PCOS. Other than that, if you’re not trying to conceive, they don’t do much for you.

So, I am kind of skeptically pursuing alternative treatment in acupuncture and Chinese herbal supplements. I say skeptically, because my eyes kind of start to cross when I hear the words Qi and Yang and Yin. I don’t really know what they mean… and I don’t know if it’s important that I know. All I know is that I have used herbal supplements for my cats and dogs and they got better. I figure they don’t know what’s going on so, they can’t possibly have gotten better from any sort of placebo effect.

More about me:

I had a regular period from age 11 until age 18 when I went on birth control pills. I remained on birth control pills for almost 5 years. I came off of the pills and got my period, but it wouldn’t stop. I was evaluated after changing doctors because my old physician poo poo’d my concern about the change in my cycle. I was found to have a grapefruit sized dermoid cyst. The cyst was removed along with half of my left ovary and I got a couple of periods after that. Then I was back to the same ol’ thing. No period.
Against my better judgment and at the insistence of my doctor (and scare tactics that I was going to get uterine cancer), I went back on the birth control pills. I hate being on the pill. They make me crazy… all of them. H threatened to move, so I finally found one that didn’t make me insane and intolerable… and then it gave me UTI infections.

I am CONVINCED that the birth control pills messed me up. Doctors deny that it is a possibility, but I have heard many people retell the same story. I will say that I did gain a significant amount of weight while on the pill which probably has contributed to my problem. I seriously doubt though, that it is the entire problem.

The purpose of this blog is to sort of document whether or not this works. If it does work, then hopefully someone will benefit from the information and be able to put it to use. If it doesn’t, I hope to save your money! I’m also doing it for me. If it does work out, I might be glad to see how it all came to be.

I’m giving myself a year to get my butt into shape and to give the herbs and acupuncture time to work their magic. Hopefully by the end of 1 year’s time, I will be able to try to get pregnant.

Oh, one other thing I should mention – I also don’t have any sperm. I mentioned earlier that I am single. I am also a lesbian – I do not have sperm on demand. It will need to chosen and purchased. I can’t even decide what color shoes to buy let alone pick out features, which like diamonds, are forever. I’m kind of dreading that part a little. I have decided to cross that bridge when I get there.

In addition to acupuncture and herbs, I am also making some other very drastic changes.
I am exercising every day for at LEAST 30 minutes. My goal is to be exercising for a minimum of 60 minutes every day. I’m also doing the weight watchers thing. Total weight loss to date is 11.8 pounds and I am currently in the midst of my 6th week of “fitness”. Soon, I hope to be able to remove the “” around fitness.

2 comments:

  1. I hope that your journey is an easy one, and I look forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, N! I hope it all comes together for you and J this time!

    ReplyDelete