Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Isn't it Ironic, Don't You Think?

After many years of being irritated that not ONE example given in the song "Ironic" by Alanis Morissette was actually ironic, something occurred to me the other day.

(OMFG! Many years -- as in the nearly 15 years ago when it first came out!!!)

Perhaps the irony, was not exactly IN the lyrics, but that fact that it
**WASN'T*** in the lyrics. The irony of the song, was that it wasn't ironic at all! For about 3 seconds, I felt brilliant (if a little slow to bring the idea to the table). So, I googled this theory and there's a mention of this in Wikipedia. Only it wasn't intentional at all! sigh.

I bet that Alanis now knows the difference between things that suck and things that are ironic. Sometimes things can both suck and be ironic.

For instance, my roommate has absolutely no desire to have children. EVER. And certainly she would NEVER consider birthing one. She is also afraid of doctors. Her periods are irregular and always have been. I was concerned about her lack of cycle. I gave her some of my FertilAid pills in the hopes that she would get her period regulated. The pills didn't seem to be working for me, but I had read many good things about them. She's been taking them for nearly 6 months and has had 3 periods in the last 4 months. I find this to be ironic. While I think it's great for her, I also think it sucks for me! argh!

10 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought about that song in years! Good times.

    Also along the ironic/suck lines: having all but one test completed at the fertility clinic, and then your DP decides to back out of the babymaking plan. ::rolls eyes::

    Happy for your roomate that she's a bit more 'regular' though. That has to be more healthy for her overall even if she's not TTC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you in that regard Jamey. I'm sorry to hear that things seem to still be headed in the wrong direction for you. Maybe DP will come around... that really does suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture that is at the top of your blog! Happy ICLW and thanks for visiting my blog.
    Good luck on your TTC adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That song's bugged me for years too. Yeah, I'm sure Alanis must be thoroughly sick of being corrected on that one by now. :)

    Good that those pills are working for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It never ceases to amaze me how things seem to work for others that don't want or need the help you're offereing, but for ourselves it's at a standstill. I wish you the best of luck!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that the way it always goes? As for the song... suckage vs irony... suckage wins every time. :)

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom pointed out that problem with that song awhile back, and it's bothered me ever since! Of course, I'm a grammar/spelling/punctuation Nazi, so it's no surprise that that would bother me! lol

    Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do know how you feel! It really sucks when things that "work for everyone!" don't work for us. I was assured by my doctor when she diagnosed insulin resistance and prescribed Metformin that my periods would begin to come on their own regularly if I took the medication correctly. A year later, AF still shows when she gets ready and not before. And not for me being preggers either. Anyway, I hope you find something that will regulate your cycles for you very soon! And, if you do, please tell me what it is :D Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lynn! I thought I was getting somewhere the other day -- I had some spotting. It doesn't seem to have amounted to anything.

    I'll keep you posted should I find the magic solution! Sadly, I think the thing that could help me the most is the thing I find to be the most difficult. Weightloss. I can't even use my PCOS as a reason -- I lose weight easily. The problem is trying and sticking to it. It's always something, right?

    Good luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never thought about the fact that those things really arent' ironic. I was 16 when that song came out. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete